Photo: Bob Levey / Getty Images
Image 1 1
A fairly uneventful week.
We boot Baylor and Washington and welcome Texas Tech and TCU. With Virginia at North Carolina on Monday night and Tennessee at Kentucky on Saturday, however, we feel there could be a lot more movement at this time next week.
And who knows, maybe UConn will spice things up when it hosts Houston on Thursday night in Hartford? It’ll be just the third time the Huskies face a ranked team this season. Can they recapture the magic that led to that big win over then-No. 15 Syracuse back in November?
1. Tennessee: No. 1 in all the land, but No. 2 overall seed right now, per NCAA selection committee.
2. Duke: Current No. 1 overall seed, according to the committee. Still five weeks left.
3. Virginia: Cavs could very well meet Duke again. Twice.
4. Gonzaga: Losing Killian Tillie for rest of regular season won’t help.
5. Michigan: We still say John Beilein wins a natty one of these years. Maybe this year?
6. Kentucky: Wildcats get Tremont Waters on Tuesday night, Tennessee on Saturday at Rupp.
7. Nevada: Wolf Pack avenges lone loss with 29-point romp over Vance Jackson and New Mexico on Saturday.
8. North Carolina: Took overtime to hold off last-place Miami in Chapel Hill on Saturday. Strange.
9. Houston: Coogs have held teams to sub-40 percent shooting 14 times at home this season. At least UConn gets them in Hartford on Thursday night.
10. Marquette: Big win over ’Nova, but also home loss to St. John’s earlier in the week.
11. Michigan State: Win over Minnesota snaps three-game losing skid for Spartans.
12. LSU: Tremont Waters’s first trip to Rupp Arena on Tuesday night. Should be fun.
13. Villanova: ‘Nova and Marquette only two Big East teams over .500 in league play.
14. Kansas State: Wildcats beat Kansas, win at Baylor. Am I the only one noticing?
15. Florida State: Remember when Leonard Hamilton said UConn was an NCAA tourney team?
16. Kansas: Could this be the year? Who else in the Big 12 will swipe it from them?
17. Purdue: Boilermakers have won eight straight, sit in second place in Big Ten.
18. Iowa State: Cyclones follow win at Oklahoma with home loss to TCU.
19. Louisville: Chris Mack good at coaching, not so good at halftime interviews.
20. Virginia Tech: Two-loss week for Hokies, who really miss Justin Robinson.
21. Iowa: Jordan Bohannon’s trey at buzzer helps avoid embarrassing home loss to Northwestern Sunday night.
22. Texas Tech: Red Raiders have won four of their last five.
23. Cincinnati: Bearcats went scoreless over last six minutes in loss at Houston on Sunday.
24. TCU: Jamie Dixon’s the coach here. Enjoy this season until March, Horned Frog fans.
25. Lipscomb: Bisons’ 20-4 start is their best in 20 seasons.