Meteorology is the study of Earth‘s atmosphere and its weather, and the ways in which temperature, wind, and moisture act together in the environment. In addition to learning how everyday weather is predicted.
Scouts can learn about extreme weather such as thunderstorms, tornadoes, and hurricanes, and how to stay safe.
The Weather Merit Badge is an option for the Nova Math Award DESIGNED-TO-CRUNCH, Nova Science Award SHOOT!, Nova Science Award SPLASH!, Supernova Bronze Award DR. BERNARD HARRIS, and Supernova Silver Award THOMAS EDISON.
The Weather Merit Badge is also an option for the William T Hornaday Award.
Come join #LoneScoutJason to complete many requirements for the Weather Merit Badge with the Meteorologists of the National Weather Service including:
Requirement #9b: Visit (tour) a National Weather Service Office – or talk with a local radio or television weather caster, private meteorologis, local agricultural extension service officer, or university meteorology instructor. Find out what type of weather is most dangerous or damaging to your community. Determine how severe weather and flood warnings reach the homes in your community.
Requirement #10: Give a talk of at least five minutes to a group (such as your unit or a Cub Scout pack) explaining the outdoor safety rules in the event of lightning, flash floods, and tornadoes. Before your talk, share your outline with your counselor for approval.
Requirement #11: Find out about a weather-related career opportunity that interests you. Discuss with and explain to your counselor what training and education are required for such a position, and the responsibilities required of such a position.
This is Open to Scouts from any BSA council who are at least 12-years-old by August 1, 2019, regardless of rank or gender.
HOW TO RSVP/SIGNUP:
Registration for any and all LA Lone Scouts‘ events is a TWO PART PROCESS:
1) SignUp SCOUT using SCOUT FIRST-NAME-and-LAST-NAME with their PARENTS EMAIL ADDRESS. One Scout at a time.
2) Fill Out ClassRoster – the form is sent out via the Eventbrite email platform to the email address you use to sign up on Eventbrite. Please check that email box (including spam/junk folder) at least ONCE on the following dates: 05/15, 05/30, 6/15, 6/30, and/or 7/15, as your response on behalf of your Scouts is required.
NOTES – PLEASE READ CAREFULLY:
1) Parking and travel arrangements from wherever you are and Los Angeles National Weather Service in Oxnard is your responsibility.
2) THIS IS NOT A DROP-OFF. All Scouts must be accompanied by 1-BSA Adult with YPT at the ratio of 4-Scouts to 1-BSA Adult with BSA YPT from the SAME TROOP.
3) SCOUTS should read their Weather Merit Badge booklet from cover to cover by July 31, 2019 and review requirements at https://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/Weather to organize notes either in their Science notebook – or – Weather Merit Badge Worksheet at http://usscouts.org/usscouts/mb/worksheets/Weather.pdf to bring on August 3, 2019.
4) Scouts will wear their Class A uniform and bring their booklet/worksheet + pen + Scoutmaster signed blue card + water bottle + snack on August 3, 2019.
5) RSVP costs for Scouts will be donated to Cabrillo Marine Aquarium.
6) THERE IS NO WAITLIST – Scouts + Adults who RSVP must show up as scheduled.
7) THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTIONS ON ROSTER – Scouts + Adults who RSVP must show up as scheduled.
8) THERE ARE NO REFUNDS – Scouts RSVPs are for (a) Meteorology Event Patch, and (b) donated to Cabrillo Marine Aquarium.
9) ALL ADULT RSVPS are required to be able to chaperone SCOUTS from other troops. Any adult Chaperone who is not able to do that will jeopardize their troop’s Ability to attend any LA Lone Scouts Events in the future.